Minnesota Governor Tim Falles is expected to shut down the bars, Restaurants And fitness centers for four weeks starting from Friday Corona Virus Cases and deaths have reached record numbers in the state, according to local reports.
The Minnesota Department of Health on Wednesday registered 4,740 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and nearly 70 deaths, most of which were recorded in long-term care in assisted living facilities – a new record for the state.
Governor will allow bars and restaurants to continue serving takeout, The Star Tribune mentionedAn official announcement will come on Wednesday evening.
“The numbers are terrible now,” Walz said during a news conference on Tuesday. “I don’t want to lose the humanity that is in the midst of this … When we think of Thanksgiving and Gathering, it’s very important to think of Minnesota.”
He later added: “The cases that we see are the highest that have ever been seen, so the idea that everything will continue as it is – I simply do not know what we can do more than that.”
Walls extended the peacetime COVID-19 emergency in the state last week, urging people to stay home on Thanksgiving, along with other health officials in the state. He said further restrictions were likely to be announced this week, including possible changes to youth winter sports, and urged Minnesota residents to stop politicizing the epidemic and listen to health officials.
A number of COVID-19 survivors and Minnesotans associated with survivors shared their stories with Walz on Tuesday, including a father who spent time in the ICU and the mother of a 17-year-old girl who nearly lost her life to COVID-19 and may not be able to exercise. one more time.
Health Commissioner Jean Malcom said activities that were considered relatively safe a month or two ago are now more dangerous due to the massive increases in cases and hospitalizations. This includes the little Thanksgiving gatherings – which she said should be reconsidered.
State Rep. Nick Zeroyas joined Walles in voicing his concerns about the spread of COVID-19 over the holidays, saying he was planning his own trip to visit his family in South Dakota to take care of his family.
“I urge all families to take care of themselves and their loved ones,” he said during the briefing.
The dire warnings come a day after Minnesota Senate Republican Majority Leader Paul Gazelka announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19 amid reports that the Republican Party held personal meetings and a dinner party on November 5 that attracted more than 100 people.
Republican senators and employees were told last Tuesday that some Republican senators had been diagnosed with COVID-19, but the memo had not been shared with Senate Democrats before. Private session last week.
This situation prompted state Senate minority leader Susan Kent to call on Gazelka to resign from her leadership position. Kent said the Republican caucus had “engaged in high-risk behaviors” under Gazelka’s leadership and that members “provided excuses rather than accountability.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.