Peru opened the ruins Machu Picchu For one Japanese tourist after waiting nearly seven months to enter the Inca fortress, while he was trapped in the Andean country during the Coronavirus outbreak.
On Monday, Culture Minister Alejandro Nera said that Jesse Takayama entered the ruins thanks to a special request he made while he has been stranded since mid-March in the town of Aguas Calientes, on the slopes of the mountains near the site.
“It came to Peru “A Japanese citizen entered with our park president so he could do so before returning home,” Nira said at a virtual press conference.
Peru has reported 33,305 coronavirus-related deaths so far, and has the highest per capita Covid-19 death rate of any country worldwide. International flights have recently resumed, but only to seven countries in Latin America, and the epidemic has devastated the country’s tourism industry.
Takayama, his entry ticket available since March, entered the ruins of the castle that was built more than 500 years ago on Saturday, and became the first visitor in seven months to be able to tour the World Heritage site. His original plan was to spend just a few days in Peru enjoying Machu Picchu.
“This is so amazing! Thanks a lot!” Takayama said in a video that was recorded on top of Mt. Machu Picchu.
In November, the stone ruins of Machu Picchu will be reopened to domestic and foreign tourists, Neira said, without specifying the date. The site will allow 30% of its regular capacity of 675 people per day.
“We are still in the middle of a pandemic,” Nera said. “This will be done with all due care.”