- President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump leave his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida ahead of a lavish New Years Eve party.
- The couple decided on short notice to leave early. Instead, they will usher in the New Year from Washington, DC.
- CNN reported that some people had already come to the event, which was usually attended by hundreds. Tickets to past events cost about $ 1,000.
- You can find more stories on the Business Insider homepage.
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump made a last-minute decision to give up their Mar-a-Lago club ahead of a lavish New Years Eve party.
They are scheduled to leave Florida at 11 a.m. and spend Thursday evening at the White House. They had previously planned to leave Mar-a-Lago on New Years Day. The Associated Press reported.
CNN’s Kaitlan Collins and Kevin Liptak reportedCiting three people familiar with the matter, the guests had already gathered at the resort and were told that Trump would be present.
The Huffington Post reported in 2018 Those tickets to the party had cost about $ 1,000.
The event is one Tradition for the Trump familyand CNN noted that Trump usually enjoys posing on the red carpet there.
Jennifer Jacobs, a senior reporter for Bloomberg News, tweeted late Wednesday that Trump was leaving the resort a day earlier than planned and missing the party “for which hundreds of tickets bought”.
– Jennifer Jacobs (@JenniferJJacobs) December 31, 2020
The party was organized despite rising coronavirus cases in the United States. CNN said it was not clear what coronavirus measures were planned for the event.
Neither Trump nor the White House gave a reason for Trump’s early departure from the resort.
The AP reported that since arriving in Mar-a-Lago on December 23, the president has spent most of his time reiterating his complaints about the election result he lost to Joe Biden.
He will return to Washington DC as some of the Republicans of Congress plan to contradict Biden has made unfounded claims that he won the election and tried unsuccessfully to reject the result.